What are admixtures? If you’re not sure what they’re used for and how they can affect your mix, then you’ve come to the right place. When water can’t do the job alone, admixtures are a helpful tool to change your concrete.
The 6 main types of admixtures:
- Plasticizers: Admixtures that reduce the amount of water needed in a mix.
- Superplasticisers: Similar to plasticizers, but with a cape on!
- Air-entraining admixtures: Used to prevent concrete cracking under freezing conditions.
- Water-resisting (water-proofing) admixtures: Used to stop water going into the concrete.
- Retarding admixtures: Allows concrete to stay in its fresh state for longer, great for the summer months.
- Accelerating admixtures: Increases the set time of concrete, great for cold winter months and where you need to work on your concrete ASAP!
What Buildr uses
Plasticizers (also known as water-reducing admixtures) create greater workability in concrete. They are great for concretes with a high slump class because you can reduce the amount of water in the mix without reducing concrete strength.
BUILDR provide these admixtures in the necessary strength mixes, free of charge!
*(If you’re wondering what a slump class is, stick around as on 25.2.20 we will be releasing an article on slumps. In the meantime, see the Concrete Society for further information- http://www.concrete.org.uk/fingertips-document.asp?id=800 )
Superplasticizers work in a similar way as plasticizers, but with a bit more of a kick. As they are more effective than plasticizers they are often used in: pump mixes, mixes with steel reinforcement and self-compacting concrete.
Air-entraining concrete can be extremely helpful for concrete that is going to be outdoors or in cold conditions. The admixture entrains air bubbles into the concrete, so that water has somewhere to expand into when freezing, reducing the likelihood of cracking.
Use the app or contact us
Our questions in the app will help us find out if you need an admixture, as we ask the relevant questions, so that you don’t have to! Our customer service team have a depth of knowledge of technical concrete, so if you ever have any queries, we are in the office from: 8am-4:30pm Monday to Friday, on 0330 123 2065.