A finishing option that some use is called power floating. A power float is a manually operated machine with either an operator walking behind it or an operative sitting upon it, dependent on the size.
How it works?
Once the fresh concrete has been poured and is in-situ, the surface has to be allowed to harden and dry with any bleed water having been evaporated. The power float and operator have to be able to move across and walk on the concrete layer.
The power float runs on the surface and has circular pans that rotate at an exceptionally high speed essentially buffing the top layer producing a smooth dense and level finish.
What are the benefits?
- It reduces the time and materials needed to apply a finish like screed. It is less labour intensive comparative to hand trowelling.
- Visually it is more pleasing to the eye as the result is smooth and polished giving it shine.
- Effectively having the surface compacted again results in a dense surface which reduces dust.
- Plastic shrinkage cracking from the concrete drying out too quickly is minimised.
- The smooth exterior the concrete floor is less likely susceptible to cracking in general.
- It is ideal for industrial use, due to it being well compacted it is able to bare the weight of heavy machinery.
- The smooth and water proof surface allows for easy clear ups of any spillages.
You can order your power floating mix with BUILDR, (a high cement content and no plasticisers enables the concrete to harden at a faster rate). But please note that you will need to provide your own power floats. Make sure you tick the option and if you have any questions call us on 0330 1232065.